I love most vegetables and until recently had never thought of using beet greens for anything. Now I eat them raw in salads, I put them in my juicer, I also add them to smoothies. This is a cooked salad. It is a very yummy vegan dish that takes only 15 minutes total prep and cooking time. It has a lot of flavor mainly from the vegetables themselves. I made some yesterday and served it with Tamarind Rice. I have yet to make tamarind rice from scratch but will do soon. I buy the frozen packets from the local Indian store. It does contain peanuts so anyone with nut allergies should avoid the store bought version. I will figure out a recipe minus nuts and add it to my blog soon.
Don’t throw away the beets :). I will post a recipe for them soon too.
- Beet greens from two or three beets (minus beets and stalks) washed and sliced
- Sweet peppers 5 or 6, sliced
- Onion, medium, sliced thinly
- Tomato, large, chopped
- Balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp (or more to taste)
- Cilantro (dry 1 tsp or fresh 1/2 cup chopped)
- Garlic powder 1 tsp
- Canola or other oil suitable for frying, 2 or 3 tbsp
- Salt (I don’t add any) and cayenne pepper (I like a 1/4 tsp)
In a medium sized saucepan, add oil and onions and stir fry over medium high until they are brown at the edges and turning soft. Add the tomatoes and continue frying for a minute until tomatoes are soft but not dissolved.
Add the sweet peppers and all ingredients except the greens and stir for a minute.
Add the greens, stir everything together, cover the pot and turn off the stove. Wait ten minutes and serve!!